Sharjah Commerce and Tourism Development Authority (SCTDA) was established in 1996 with the objective of promoting commercial and tourism activities in the emirate of Sharjah.
SCTDA is tasked with developing Sharjah’s commercial and tourism sectors through various events and activities, and promoting the emirate at local, regional and international levels.
Working in coordination with other government departments and private sector entities, SCTDA carries out all activities necessary for promoting the emirate’s tourism industry and achieving its goals. SCTDA’s operations include:
- Planning, laying out strategies, managing general policy, supervising comprehensive and integrated tourism-related programs, and providing all means available for commerce and tourism development through coordination with relevant authorities and departments
- Promoting the emirate’s tourist and historical attractions through events, activities and promotions
- Serving as a comprehensive database for tourism leisure and entertainment activities
- Promoting Sharjah as a distinct cultural, heritage and family tourist destination
- Achieving commercial development and improvement of the tourism industry with the aim of attracting foreign investment, increasing tourist flow, increasing the number of hotel establishments and maintaining a high percentage hotel room occupancy across the emirate
Click here for more information on SCTDA.
The Authority endeavours to develop thecommerce and tourism sectors through various events, activities and issuances, and promotes the emirate at all local, regional and international levels.Consequently, it carries out all the work and activities necessary to achieve their goals by way of planning and drawing up strategic plans to further develop and promote the tourism industry in all its forms, market the emirate locally, regionally and globally, and attract foreign investment.
In coordination with other government departments and the concerned private sector, SCTDoffers the stakeholders a number of world class services, and exerts considerable effort in order to achieve the development intended for the Emirate of Sharjah. The Authority also uses all available means to raise public awareness of the unique features Sharjah offers as a preferred tourist destination.
SCTDA services include:
- Promoting tourist and historical attractions in the emirate.
- Providing leisure and entertainment activities for tourists.
- Promoting Sharjah as a distinct cultural, heritage and a family tourist destination.
- Achieving commercial development and improvement of the tourism industry with the aim of attracting foreign investment, increasing tourist flow, increasing the number of hotel establishments and maintaining a high percentage of hotel room occupancy.
- Issuance, approval, renewal, amendment and cancellation of hotel establishments and tourism-related licenses.
- Hotel establishment management & operation license.
- Tour operator license.
- Inspection of all tourism properties (hotels, hotel apartments and resorts).
- Ensuring all hotel properties comply with the Authority’s standards, rules and regulations.
- Hotels, hotel apartments and resorts accommodation classification.
- Hotels and resorts are classified on a sliding scale of one star to five stars, and hotel apartments are classified as either standard, superior or deluxe.
- Conducting industry and tourist guide training.
- Providing marketing collaterals.
- Organising familiarization trips.